Bullies, Bad Bosses and Boyfriends
Pittsburgh Harassment Lawyer Lee W. Davis fights Sexual Harassment that is unwelcome behavior that happens to you because of your sex. Some types of behavior that can be considered sexual harassment are:
- Unwelcome sexual advances
- Request for sexual favors, or
- Verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature
Sexual harassment in the workplace can be against the law when:
- Submitting to or rejecting this conduct is used as the basis for employment decisions or is made a condition of employment. This is also sometimes called “quid pro quo” harassment, or harassment resulting in a “tangible employment action.”
- The conduct is sufficiently severe or pervasive that it creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment. This is called hostile environment harassment.
Although many federal and state laws do not specifically define sexual harassment or make it illegal, courts have found that sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination which violates the laws against sex discrimination in the workplace.
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a federal law that protects individuals from discrimination based upon sex. This law makes it illegal for an employer to discriminate against individuals because of their sex in hiring, firing, and other terms and conditions of employment, such as promotions, raises, and other job opportunities.
The laws of most states also make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex, and some states specifically make sexual harassment against the law
Title VII covers all private employers, state and local governments, and educational institutions that employ 15 or more individuals. These laws also cover private and public employment agencies, labor organizations, and joint labor management committees controlling apprenticeship and training.
Many states also make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex; some even require a fewer number of employees for harassment claims than are required for other types of discrimination claims.